A Comprehensive Guide to Moving
By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group
1. Check out your new community. Prior to determining to move anywhere, it’s always a good notion to check out your new area. Sure, you can head to all the points of interest, but don’t solely visit as a tourist. Drive through subdivisions. Take note of where grocers, gas stations and schools happen to be. Think about your life and how it would transfer to this different location.
2. Investigate schools. Whenever you happen to be visiting your new town, figure out the schools that your kids will be studying at. Start looking at the bordering communities as well as do some online research to see how the public schools rank along with what private school options are to be found in the area.
3. Produce a moving budget. Let’s be realistic, moving isn’t inexpensive. Even DIY options include a significant cost. And should you be moving an extended distance, a professional mover in Wichita Falls will surely make the task less difficult. Remember to include some extra for unexpected expenditures, as they frequently find a way to happen. In the event that you are moving for a job, check with your workplace to find out if any of your moving expenditures will be covered.
4. Look for a place to live. When you have kids and have researched what school you'd like them to go to, the choices of a location in which to live have very likely been reduced some. Nevertheless, regardless, a realtor can certainly assist you through the home hunting process. A qualified real estate agent will show you residences in the choice location and also answer all of the questions about the communities.
5. Research moving companies. Hiring a reputable professional mover in Wichita Falls is essential for your move. Perform your research by reviewing Google reviews as well as the BBB scores. Speak with individuals who have moved not too long ago and learn what moving company they used. Obtain several quotations from various movers to evaluate. Ask questions if you don’t fully understand something on the quotation and be sure you're comparing apples-to-apples. Keep in mind, if a quote appears too good to be true, this may be a warning sign.
6. Choose a moving date. In case you want to move in the middle of the the summer season, you will need to get with your moving company in Wichita Falls to verify your selected dates as far in advance as possible. Summertime is known as peak season for moving, so days fill up quickly. On the other hand, should you be wanting to move in the winter or early spring, you will probably have your choice of dates and might end up paying a little less. You will frequently pay a premium for moving during peak season.
7. Get started accumulating your moving supplies. By simply gathering cartons right now, you will be a small step ahead when the time comes to pack. You can get boxes from your local moving company or from the majority of big box stores. Don’t forget various other moving materials, including tape, bubble wrap, newsprint, box knife, etc.
8. Have an approach for packing. Prior to when you actually carry out any packing, think of your plan. It is a good idea to go through your things in advance and determine what you are going to take with you and what you don’t want any longer. Have a garage sale or donate to a charity the items you don’t want to move. After that, you could start packing non-essential items such as basement and attic stuff as well as out-of-season items. Next, move on to items that you won’t need for the subsequent month or so. Wait till the days prior to moving day to pack things which you make use of routinely. Be sure and ask your moving company in case there are things that they can’t move in the moving van, including live plants, flammable items and perishable food. You should come up with alternate arrangements for this stuff.
9. Pack your suitcases, too. When you are going to be on the road for a couple of days and nights along the way to your new residence, you'll need apparel and toiletries for the adventure. Make certain and set apart anything that you will need along the way in order that those things don’t mistakenly get packed up and loaded on the moving van.
10. Make travel arrangements. If you will be driving to your new home, prepare your route and arrange your hotel rooms in advance. Similarly, if you're flying, select your airline and get your seats. Bear in mind that you may possibly have to stay in a hotel for a few days in the new city in case your belongings won’t be delivered straight away.
11. Transfer memberships as well as records. When you have a health club or golf club membership, check into shifting them to your new city. Also, request your child’s school to send their information to the new school and also for your health professionals and dental office.
12. Empty your storage unit. You may as well go on and go through your storage unit, too, and get rid of all things that you don’t have to have. Beyond that, make certain and inform the administration of the unit that you will be moving your things out and contact them again once you've vacated the space.
13. Forward your mail. These days, it's easy to forward your postal mail to your new address. Simply go on to the USPS website and complete the required information. This is usually a really easy step, however it’s commonly overlooked, so we wanted to mention it.
14. Check your moving date with your mover. You will probably hear from your moving company in Wichita Falls several days or perhaps a week prior to your move date, although in the event you haven’t, now is a great time to go forward and contact them and be sure that your move dates still match up with what they have on their calendar for you. Last minute itinerary modifications aren't fun for anybody, hence it’s usually in your best interest to double check all the details to make sure everybody is on the same page.
15. Cut-off and set-up your utilities. The timing of this step is very important since you don’t desire to be moving out of your old house in the dark or moving into your new residence with no heat or air conditioning. Contact your existing and also future energy companies and determine what you must do so that you can ensure a simple transition.
16. Coordinate a move-out cleaning. After you've got everything moved out of your old residence, you will probably be too tired to want to clean. There are cleaning services that focus on vacant homes thus consider hiring the cleaning done.
17. Let other people know your new home address. This step may very well be carried out once you arrive at your new residence, as well. But you will want your friends and family to have your new street address. Consider sending out a change of address card or perhaps an e-mail to let everybody know that you have moved.
18. Swap contact information with your moving van driver. Once all items have been loaded up and the moving van is preparing to leave, make certain and ask the driver for the ETA to your new house and for his phone number. Likewise provide him with your mobile phone number. You need to have a way to stay in touch whilst everybody is on the move.
19. Arrange a handyman. Make certain and locate a trustworthy handyman once you move to aid in jobs such as switching out lighting fixtures, making common repairs or hanging items on the walls.
20. Register to vote and obtain a new driver’s license. Updating your voter registration shortly once you move is smart for you to vote in any future elections. Your local library or post office normally can supply additional information about how to register. Furthermore, obtaining a new license is vital once you have moved to a new state. Take a look at the local DMV internet site to make sure that you have all of the required documentation before you wait in line, because guidelines differ from one state to another.
Are you ready to move?
A-1 Freeman Moving Group in Wichita Falls would like to assist. Simply contact us right now to commence with your free in-home or video estimate.
Request a free quote