Factors that Affect Your Moving Estimate
If you’re moving, you presumably have a lot of concerns—and many costs. The last thing you want are surprises when it comes to your estimated moving costs. That’s why you need to hire an experienced and creditable mover who will assist you to uncoverways to reduce your moving costs, and who will provide you an accurate estimate of what those expenses will be.
How to Find a Great Company for Your Move in Wichita Falls
First, you need to know not all moving companies are the same. Some are experienced, professional and honest—others aren’t. According to Consumer Reports, for example:
“Some moving companies quote lowball prices and then, once the move is underway, hold their customers' property hostage until they pay much more. Others demand substantial deposits and then don't show up, says Katherine Hutt, a spokeswoman for the Better Business Bureau.”
The good news is that you can find a reputable company to help you move by simply doing a little groundwork. You can, for example, check their credentials (including their carrier number from the Department of Transportation) and search online reviews and complaints.
You should also visit their website—the best movers are often recipients of recognized awards—like the Pinnacle Mover Designation Award and the North American Quality Award—and will often times post these awards on their site.
How to Comprehend the Factors of Your Moving Costs in Wichita Falls
Many factors go into the cost of your move. For example, what you pay will be based partially on considerations like the total weight of your belongings and the distance to your new home. There are several other items, however, which will affect the total of your moving estimate, including the following 6:
- Packing and crating costs: Keep in mind, you’re paying your moving company for their time. Obviously, they’ll need more time if you ask them to pack your possessions. You can save money by packing some or all your belongings yourself. You can slash expenses some more by disassembling large pieces of furniture instead of having the mover do it for you. Also, you’ll pay more for certain kinds of packing and handling. For example, if high value things like artwork or a grandfather clock require crating, your cost will be greater.
- Poor access to your pick-up or drop-off location in Wichita Falls: If your current or future home is in a location which prohibits access for a tractor trailer truck (for example, because of a narrow road or a weak bridge), your movers must find another means to get your things from your old home or into your new one. For instance, they might need to use smaller vehicles to gain access. In this case, you’ll need to pay the mover a shuttle fee.
- Stairs or long walking distances: The total of your move will also be more if there are very long stairs (or multiple stairs) which they need to carry your belongings up or down. You might also have to pay a long-carry fee if the area from the moving truck to the entrance of your residence is more than 50 feet.
- Narrow doors or hallways: If some of your things don’t fit through the door or down narrow hallways, a rigger may be required to hoist them through a window. In this case, you could be assessed a hoisting fee.
- Storage fees: This is one of the more common reasons for increased costs. If you have to put into storage some or most of your things at the carrier’s warehouse because your new home is not ready for you, you’ll be required to pay an additional storage fee.
- Time of year: Summer is the craziest moving time of the year, which means that moving in the summer will be more expensive. You can save money if you can execute your move from September to May. You will also pay more if you move on a national holiday or on the first or last day of the month (this is because rental agreements typically expire at these times, which means more people move then).
Moving companies don’t get a reputation for professionalism, accuracy and trustworthiness by mistake—they earn it by helping their clients, giving them guidance and working hard to win that trust. The most vital thing you can do to ensure a safe move and lower your costs is to seek out the kind of moving company which cares about you and your family and will work day in and day out to ensure your complete satisfaction.
To learn more about our residential, office and corporate relocation services, contact us today.