By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group
Moving to a new home is a massive undertaking, but when your new house is in a new state, there are numerous different things to learn along with the normal "Where is the dry cleaners?" question. Although your interstate move to Wichita Falls
might be only a few miles, as a new resident you will discover numerous things that differ from your previous home--so keep this cheat sheet nearby when you are organizing your life going forward.
For those who have bought a new home no doubt you've visited the town and expended a bit of time on the internet becoming familiar with the new neighborhood, evaluated schools, and identified the nearest coffee shop. Now comes the nitty-gritty of the interstate move to Wichita Falls--the logistics and particulars which can be so rapidly lost within the tension of the stacks of cartons.
Determine Your Spending Plan
Moving is expensive. If your move is corporate and it's not on your dime, skip in front of the class. If you are footing the costs, bear in mind that all moving companies are not created equal and research your options prior to deciding how to take care of a move and which moving company to engage. Ask for referrals, but verify the company you choose is a member of the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Association (their license number is going to be on their website and trucks). The Better Business Bureau also is a excellent resource for outstanding moving companies in Wichita Falls.
Determine your budget for the move before you get started. It can save you money by doing your own boxing and driving, and getting labor to load and unload the moving trucks. The majority of movers have a list of services and you can decide which ones you want. This is a great strategy to use if you're confident packing up the main things, but would like help with things like electronics and antique items.
Reputable companies are not going to provide you with a price quote without knowing everything that you're moving and how far. So, schedule an in-home visit and discuss with the estimator precisely what you're intending on moving. You should definitely obtain a written quote, read it closely and ask questions in case there are figures or specifics which are confusing.
Plan Your Packing
It really is like eating an elephant, take it one bite-or box-at the time. Start off purging as soon as you realize you're moving to Wichita Falls. If you haven't used the item or put it on in 6 months, donate it, sell it, or trash it. If the movers are packing up for you, it can be a great deal less difficult to be savage with the purge when you ask yourself if an item is worth compensating another person to wrap and pack it.
Consider your new life--if you're moving from Minnesota to a warm climate, leave the polar fleece and winter boots with your next door neighbor. They may be useful whenever you visit and be entirely worthless in place where 65 degrees is viewed as a chilly snap. Pack your out of season apparel and toys to begin with, and work your way up to the essentials. A few days prior to the move itself, prepare a duffel bag with the essentials for the day or two you're in transit.
Hauling the Transportation
For anybody who is relocating across the country and flying your family members, make sure you let the movers know they will be transporting automobiles, boats, golf carts, covered wagons--whatever's on wheels, it's got to go on the moving van unless you're driving it. Anytime animals are members of the household, it sometimes is smart for a couple of you to drive with the pets. Consult your veterinarian and check with airlines concerning pet policies once you know you're moving. Additionally, organize with the movers relating to the time allotted for travel, especially if you're going by . If your sofa and television are a full week behind, you might need a place to stay in the interim, and the sooner you prepare those strategies the better, especially with pets involved.
M-Day Minus 14 and Counting
The previous couple of days before you actually close the door for the last time is a flurry of activities, make sure you mark these things off your list.
- Confirm current utilities are shifting or turning off the day immediately after your move. If you're in a cold local climate on either end, request your real estate professional to be on the lookout for broken plumbing at the new home in Wichita Falls--that's not really a welcome home for anybody.
- Verify the mail is stopped and forwarded, and that you have completed the change of home address paperwork for bank accounts, medical care, and insurance plan information. It is possible to change your home address on the internet and get a new PO box, but be aware that the Post Office assigns you a box and it's typically on the bottom row. It's better to go in after you have moved and pick one yourself.
- Make hard copies of valuable paperwork, keep them within a file folder with you throughout the interstate move itself. This includes prescriptions, immunization records for the children and household pets, insurance cards, identification documents, and everything else you might need to obtain in a hurry.
- Schedule the cable/internet guy for as soon as feasible. Don't worry if their visit coincides along with the movers; they are familiar with operating around boxes. It is an occupational hazard for promising to appear whenever inside a five-hour window.
DON'T LOAD THAT ON THE MOVING VAN!!!
There are some things that wisdom dictates should not go on a moving van. If you are nervous about driving with a full gas can for the garden tractor in the car, contemplate loading a moving truck with lawn tools, fertilizer, and chlorine bleach and taking off cross country to Wichita Falls. So, in the event you require a reminder, here are a few items which movers are not permitted to transport.
- ANY chemicals--household cleaners, paint and paint thinner, finger nail polish (actually) and remover, fertilizer, chemistry sets
- spoilable food
- houseplants--states have polices about introducing new types in order to avoid new pests as well as fungi. There's no border patrol verifying your automobile or trucks to confiscate your caladiums, but you do not wish to be the individual who shipped in the aphids which killed off the area vegetation.
- Cash, expensive jewelry, stock certificates--keep those with you; moving companies will not be liable for valuable items such as this.
Set up Domicile
Meaning letting the new state know you'll be coming. You'll need to begin paying taxes in your new state the moment the ink dries on your new home loan. Let your accountant know you'll be moving--some states do not have state income taxes! Every state has their unique tax rates, regulations, and various distinctive regulations. Check your new state's website for details on licensing pets, teenage drivers, and other arcane legal aspects you will need to understand. Once you've moved you will need new drivers’ licenses and vehicle tags--check to see what the grace period is for new residents. In most states you can register to vote at the DMV; again, look at the state website to figure out the timeline for signing up to be a good citizen.
And, now that you have this interstate move to Wichita Falls well in hand, concentrate on the vital stuff--like deciding your new favorite teams.